torsdag 9. august 2012

Speak to me

Dark side of the moon. One of the most selling albums of all times. So it is indeed a great album. It was one of the first Pink Floyd album I really enjoyed and felt was the best thing I've ever heard. And I reckon I'm not alone there! It is an album lots of people like.
The cover itself is amazing! Designed by Hipgnosis. It is so simple, but still so powerful. That's why I had to have it tattooed on my body. The age limit for getting a tattoo in Norway is 18 years, so the day after my 18th b'day, I got a tattoo of the cover photo!

My "Dark side of the moon" tattoo


Well, the song "Speak to me" is the opening song on the wonderful album. It is a piece made by Nick Mason, and I find that very cool. The opening song in an album like this, needs to make a good impression. On the album "dark side..", the songs goes like hand in hand. There are no breaks during the album, so it's like there's only one song on the album. The problem is that I don't feel satisfied when I've only listened to one song, cause then the other 9 songs are missing!



The various spoken pieces about madness come from roadies Peter Watts and Chris Adamson, and from Jerry Driscoll, the doorman at Abby Road Studios where the album was made. Waters had devised a series of cards containing 20 questions which ranged from 'what does the phrase Dark side of the moon mean?', to 'are you afraid of dying?'. Everyone the band could get their hand on in Abby Road from Paul to Linda McCartney who happend to be making an album there to doorman Jerry Driscoll was asked to respond and then taped. The McCartney answers were discarded as being too measured. The voices in the album, are some of the best parts with the album! Lots of people doesent notice the voices, and if you are one of them, listen through the album, and try to notice the voices!

The song is very very short, and it's strats off really low, and then it builds up to a normal volume. There are no vocals on this song, only sound effects, where you can hear things you'll recognice later in the album. You might hear clips from "Money" og maybe "Us and them". Listen and explore!

Here's "Speak to me" and "Breathe"


ENJOY!!!

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar