onsdag 7. mars 2012

The thin ice

I really love this song. It makes me smile everytime I'm listening to it. The song is to be found on the album "The Wall", and I reckon that you have all heard it before! David is singing the first part, followed by Roger's voice on the end of the song. David is singing the soft part where everything seems so perfect and Roger is singing the more 'scary' part. I'm not quite sure what I mean about that, but listen to the lyrics and see if you understand. If not, that doesen't matter! I just think that it turns into something more cynical when Roger is singing, because of the lyrics and the way Roger is singing.

From the scene in "The Wall" when "The thin ice" is played

I've been to quite a few "The Wall" concerts during the last 12 months (actually 8 times in 5 countrys and 2 different continents). So, on this gigs I've been to, they have been playing this song (of course!!). It is an amazing song, and I'm actually getting emotional everytime they are playing this song. Because on the wall, there is a big picture of Eric Fletcher Waters when they begin to play the song. This man is Roger Waters father who was killed during the second world war in Anzio, Italy. The picture is later switching over to someone else who's also been killed during some war. It's some intese pictures and a lot of people that has been killed.
This is how it looks on the concert

Anyway, the reason why Roger use all these pictures of loved fallen ones, may be because the song is about his loss.. I think that this song is actually the beginning of Pink life as Roger Waters. If I refer to the movie "The Wall" the guy is named Pink, and he is a caracter based partly on Rogers life and partly on Syd's life. And when this song starts, I feel that we can connect it to Rogers past. 

The brilliant men who made the wonderful song and the wonderful album.!

Roger Waters said in an interview with Tommy Vance:
In fact, at the end of In The Flesh, you hear somebody shouting 'roll the sound effects', and you hear the sound of bombers. And so it gives you some indication of what's happening. So it's a flashback and we start telling the story about it, which in terms of this, it's about my generation: war babies. But it can be about anybody who gets left by anybody. My father was killed in the war and although it works on certain levels, it doesn't have to be about the war, I think it should work for any generation, really. The father is also... I'm the father as well. People who leave their families to go and work, not that I leave my family to go to work, but a lot of people do and have done, particularly in rock and roll. It happens in all kinds of businesses, really. So it's not meant to be just a simple story about somebody getting killed in the war, and growing up and going to school. But about being left, more generally".

Here's the lyrics. Listen to the song, read the lyrics, and have a wonderful evening!!

Momma loves her baby
And daddy loves you too.
And the sea may look warm to you babe
And the sky may look blue
But ooooh Baby
Ooooh baby blue
Oooooh babe.


If you should go skating
On the thin ice of modern life
Dragging behind you the silent reproach
Of a million tear-stained eyes
Don't be surprised when a crack in the ice
Appears under your feet.
You slip out of your depth and out of your mind
With your fear flowing out behind you
As you claw the thin ice.


Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar