tirsdag 18. september 2012

Learning to fly

Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky

What a great song! It was the first song by Pink Floyd without Roger Waters I really enjoyed. It is something really catchy about it, and it makes me smile everytime. I remember the first time I got to see the music video on tv. It is many years ago, and I remember it was me and my dad in the livingroom and vh1 was on in the background. And suddenly.. The wonderful music came out of the tv. (all norwegian Floyd fans know that Pink Floyd is rarely shown on the tv or played on the radio), so it was quite big for me!
There I saw the music video, and I was so facinated by it, cause it had some of the good old Floyd craziness in it. Ever since that day, I've been hoping to see it everytime I put on a music chanel. But it rarely happens, and that might be cause I rarely watch tv.

David Gilmour


Very well!
The song is from the album "A momentary lapse of reason" and the album was released in 1987. The song is mostly written by David Gilmour, but he had a little help from his friends Bob Ezrin (The trial!!), Jon Carin (play keyboard with Roger) and Anthony Moore (who has been helping David before and he's also been writing texts with Richard Wright on one of his solo albums). The song is sung by David Gilmour. He's got the most wonderful song.

Nick Mason


The song is basicly about the thrill about learning to fly (both David and Nick has a flight certificate, or whatever it is called). Since this was the band first single after Roger left, it is also seen as how David took the lead in the band and how he could do it. He was learning something new, like learning to fly. It is about the bands 'new' life.

Richard Wright


I will end todays blog as I always do; here's the song and the music video that amazed me many years ago. And it still does! 

Shine on!


Into the distance, a ribbon of black 
Stretched to the point of no turning back 
Flight of fancy on a windswept field 
Standing alone, my senses reel 
Fatal attraction that's holding me fast 
Now, can't escape this irresistible grasp 
Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky 
Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I 
Ice is forming on the tips of my wings 
Unheeded warnings, I thought I thought of everything 
No navigator to find my way home 
Unladen, empty, and turned to stone 
A soul in tension that's learning to fly 
Condition: grounded - determined to try 
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies 
Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I 
Above the planet on a wing and a prayer, 
My grubby halo, a vapour trail in the empty air, 
Across the clouds I see my shadow fly 
Out of the corner of my watering eye 
A dream unthreatened by the morning light 
Could blow this soul right through the roof of the night 
There's no sensation to compare with this 
Suspended animation - a state of bliss 
Can't keep my mind from the circling sky 
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earth-bound misfit, I

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar