onsdag 12. oktober 2011

Poles Apart

What can I say... It is indeed an amazing song, with a lovely melody and fantastic lyrics.The song is of course from the album "The division bell", and is written by David Gilmour, his wife, Polly Samson and Nick Laird-Clowes, who is a friend of David and he has been a co-writer on some of the songs at this album.


I put the lyrics at the top today, so you can think about the lyrics before I tell you more ;)

Did you know...it was all going to go so wrong for you
And did you see it was all going to be so right for me
Why did we tell you then
You were always the golden boy then
And that you'd never lose that light in your eyes

Hey you...did you ever realize what you'd become
And did you see that it wasn't only me you were running from
Did you know all the time but it never bothered you anyway
Leading the blind while I stared out the steel in your eyes

The rain fell slow, down on all the roofs of uncertainty
I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me
And did you know...
I never thought that you'd lose the light in your eyes



As you might think, and it will be correct as well, the first verse is about Syd Barrett and the second verse is about Roger Waters. At least, that is what Polly says! And it makes sense for me.. When Syd did bad and had to leave the band, David got to replace him, and he did really good. I think that verse does make good sense indeed! And I think its wonderful that he has been hiding it in the text. When you're only listen to a song, you may sing a-long, but you might not think about the meaning. I can honestly say that it's only I few years ago since I figured it out!

Very well, over to verse two! You can see here that it's about Roger, and I'm saying that because, as you all know, Roger and David didn't get along at the end of Pink Floyd.. It's been almost a disaster since "The Wall" and you can see it in the lyrics.. Roger didn't know what he had become, and the band didn't like him anymore. Roger ran away from himself, I think, but I won't go to deep into that now.. BUT, at the gigs this year, I've never seen Roger happier with himself! The three first times I saw him, it was all right, but this year, he was glowing! It was wonderful to see <3

So, for all you fans out there, here's a video with this lovely songs! And just think about the lyrics ;)
There is nothing else to say than this is an absolutely fantastic song with powerful meaning.! Damn, this song can make me smile ;)
Goodnigth everybody

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar