tirsdag 19. juli 2016

Kevin's 65th birthday! -And the rest of the trip in Italy

This morning me and Ole again decided to sleep in a bit. It was tuesday morning, and there would be no more David Gilmour shows on this trip. But we had a big birthday party coming up later.
We got up between 11 and 12, got dressed and headed out to meet Philip, Laila and David for lunch. They had found a cosy spot, so we enjoyed a great meal here. Pasta with wild boar. Don't think I tried that before, but damn, that was good! They also had great orange juice. We sat here enjoying the food and drinks for a while, and then we headed out to walk. I got to buy some Verona souvenirs and just walk around in this beautiful city with great people.
We walked to see Juliet's terrace and the statue of her. It's said that you'll have good luck in love if you touches her breast. So I had to try that.

David and Philip at lunch

We kept on walking, and then it was decided that we were heading to Philip, Laila and Davids flat. We brought a few beers on the way, and headed over to the flat. They also had a rooftop terrace, so we sat up there, enjoying life. It was actually a bit cloudy this day, so there were no problems sitting up there.
On the terrace we talked about Pink Floyd, and David actually fell asleep. Looked very comfy!

View from rooftop

View from rooftop

View from rooftop

David fell asleep

We sat there for a few hours, and then me and Ole had to head back to our hotel so we could get ready for the big celebration. I showered and put on a lovely dress, that actually felt too warm, but I wanted to dress up nicely for Kevin.
Just before 6, we headed over to the regular pre-meet up place. And we sat here until 7.30, enjoying more drinks and great company.

Me and the birthday boy

At 7.30, Kevin lead the way to a restaurant he had picked out. And it truly was the most beautiful spot. Over the last days in Verona, we'd always been sitting outside the venue, which is a quite buisy area. But the restaurant was close to the river with a lovely overview of the bridge.

Beautiful group of people

We were 16 people around the table this evening. And after being with these people over so many days, I really felt lucky to be a part of such a wonderful group. We ordered food and good drinks. This evening, me and Ole shared a bottle of Prosecco.
It was such a beautiful end of a trip with these people. Everybody was talking, laughing and telling stories.
After the dinner, most of the poeple in the group had to go back to get some sleep. And I had to say goodbye to so many lovely people. Such a sad moment, but I just felt lucky since I got to know them all.

In he end, it was me, Ole, Kevin, Philippe, Nick, Csilla, John and Mira left. We headed over to a place where they sold beer, and this is the place where we spent the rest of the evening.
I did hear about a shot called lemoncello, and someone ordered one of these to each of us. Not the best I've tasted, but not bad either.
So we sat here for hours - and everytime we ordered a beer, we ordered a new round of lemoncello shots. Needless to say - at the end of the night, we were all lagging drunk!
But we had such a good time. Ole put on music on his phone, and we all sang along.

Listening to "Amused to death"

Two Norwegians with the same nose!

Lemoncello cheers

At one point, it was time to go home. So me and Ole walked with Kevin and Philippe, since we were going in the same direction. When we crossed the beautiful bridge, I got an idea that I wanted to climb up some steps, and take a picture from the top. Not long after, all three lads climed up as well.
I don't think this is something 4 lagging drunk people should do in the middle of the night. But it went all good.
I was the first to go back down, so I could take pictures of them on the top as well.

Picture of me playing dead! I did a great job!

We had so much fun! And again, what a great way to end the most perfect trip!! Me and Ole stopped by Kevin and Philippe's hotel on the way back, and after a few minutes we headed back to our own hotel. We should have gone straight to sleep, but Ole got the brilliant idea of calling Wendy! I've been friends with her on facebook for years, but never met or talked to her. So that was a great way to end the night.

So happy I got to join this wonderful man on his birthday!

The morning after, we woke up around 10 - not feeling too great! We blame it all on the lemoncello.
We packed our stuff, checked out, and headed to the same place we had lunch the day before, with Philip, Laila and David. I couldn't stand eating too much this morning, so I got a lot to drink, juice, cola and espresso. We sat there for a while, and then we all shared a taxi to the train station. Here we said our goodbyes with David, and the rest of us got on a train to Milan. The train ride was long, and I was so tired from the day before, but we at least had good company.
We said our goodbyes to Philip and Laila, since they got off about an hour before Milan. The rest of the ride to Milan, I think we both slept on and off.

This morning I really had a hard time finishing the Underberg

Waiting for train to Milano. A bit tired

We arrived at a huge and buisy train station. I knew at once that this would be nothing like Pompeii or Verona. This was the big city! We got in a cab that took us to the hotel and checked in there. The room was bigger then in Verona, but still no air condition. But the room still felt cooler.
I think we both just wanted to go to sleep, but felt like we had to do some sightseen. So we headed out, found the metro, and found a stop we wanted to get off. Problem was that this stop was closed, so we drove straight past. Then we went off on the next stop, and walked towards the stop we wanted to get off.

It was a nice area, so we tried to find something to eat. But the restaurants didn't look buisy at all! No poeple inside! And there were people who worked at the restaurants who tried to get us to eat at their restaurants. Like they do in Greece, Spain etc. Again, after being in two small and lovely city's, none of us felt like being bribed into eating somewhere.
So we headed back to the metro and found a different stop. When we were about to go outside, it started to rain. A lot. We were standing there for about 30 minutes, and when it didn't stop raining, we got on the metro again, heading for another stop, where we thought we could find some food. There was a place we went in to, but it was loud, and they didn't serve much dinner. And we really wanted one last Italian dinner.

My last pasta in Italy for now

We googled up a place, and went for it. It was not too far to walk, but at this time, it got really cold outside! I was wearing a summer dress and Ole was wearing shorts and t-shirt.
At this place, they had Italian food, so I ordered pasta and Ole ordered Calzone. Whilst waiting for the food, we saw a lightening. And only half a second after came the thunder. It was so close and so loud, I actually got a bit scared! But there were no more thunder and lightening after this.
We enjoyed our meals and beer, and then we headed for the metro to go back to the hotel.

Safe back in the room, we had one last Underberg before we lied down in the bed, actually a bit cold - for the first time in a week. Ole put on some Pink Floyd music, and then we fell asleep.

Few pics from Milano - so here's more from Verona

Kevin & Ole

The next morning, we got up around 7, packed our bags and checked out, We jumped on the metro that would take us to the train station. The train tickets we had bought the day before, so we got on a train to the airport. As soon as we got there, I got to check in my luggage, but Ole had to wait. We went to have breakfast, and then again tried to check in Ole's luggage, but it was still too early, since he had a flight two hours after mine. So we went to the security check and said goodbye. And now I was alone, for the first time in 8 days.
I headed over to my gate, and not long after, it was boarding time. The line was long, so I didn't bother standing in line for a long time. And then I saw Ole again! He knew what gate I was in, so we got to hang out the last minutes before I had to board. We said our goodbyes again, and I went on the airplane.

Last goodbye in Italy

It was about 2 hours to get to Copenhagen, and then I had to change the flight to Stavanger. There was a delay on about 20 minutes, but that didn't bother me. I landed in Stavanger around 4, and then the trip was over for now.

Italy - I love you

For all of you I met again or for the first time in Italy, it has been an absolute pleasure! I had the week of my life, enjoying great shows with great people. The food was perfect, and the drinks as well. Thank you all for letting me be a part of this! I will cheerish this week forever!
I mean - I got to see David Gilmour live in Pompeii and in Verona. My two favourite venues of all time. 
Until we meet again - I'm sending you all a big and warm hug 
Want to send an extra thank you to Ole for being a great travel buddy! So glad I had someone to be with all the time, and that changed flight home, so I didn't have to be alone in Milano!
I am forever grateful!

2 kommentarer:

  1. What a wonderful story!! I am so happy to see& hear about such a wonderful trip. Shine on, Maria!! You are one crazy diamond.....in the best possible way {{{HUGS}}}

  2. Aww, thank you so much Cindy! Those words means the world to me! I truly am a crazy diamond! This year has been beyond crazy. And don't looks like it'll stop yet. 2 more Gilmour shows and one Waters show. Shine on Cindy! Hope we'll meet one day :)